Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chiang Mai

Before arriving in Chiang Mai yesterday, I received an email from Jordan, Tom Scotts daughter. I have never met her, but it was very meaningful to get her email. She is 17 years old, and she and her grandmother (Toms mother) are both looking forward to keeping up with the news from the outreach. I want to ask each of you to keep Jordan and Anne Scott in your prayers, as well as the rest of their family. I want this to bless them as much as Tom has blessed me and impacted this outreach.

Here's the news:
We arrived in Chiang Mai at 6:00 pm, and I was knocked out an hour later, until I woke up this morning at 6 am. We have had today off and so after my first quiet time with Jesus on this side of the world, we walked downtown. Let me introduce Son Kran, the Thai holiday that has been going on the past few days. Everyone crowds the streets and then they soak one another. No one is exempt. Except for maybe elderly people with young children that say 'mai, mai' or no, no!

I bought a small red bucket for 15 baht (50 cents) and would run up to trucks (going 5 mph) and ask the people in the back if I could have some of their water that they store in huge barrels. They always said yes with a smile and after they splash me, I'd splash them, then they'd get me again. They really get into it if I catch the water they throw at me in my bucket and then splash them back. Again.

The Thai People are very friendly and their smiles are super genuine. Its inspiring. So, if you want to take on a Thai characteristic, go into work tomorrow and just smile with your heart at everyone :)


By the way, I have now eaten my first fried bug. It was a slimy grub of some sort. I'm sure this wont be my last.